Friday, August 27, 2010

Why freedom is the essence to being Diva ! (election day 2009)

Bob Marley’s prophecy … the truth of the ganja! “Get up , stand up … stand up for your right” ok he was stoned when he wrote that but it’s amazing how much truth there is in it and how his words are so relevant now …


As someone who constantly voices my opinion through my writing, today I cannot pass up the opportunity to have a say. I often need inspiration something that appeals to my core for me to get the motivation and ability to project it in words …
And today I have it! Because as a young South African I have lived in a part of history, I have witnessed it and now I am part of the blessed generation that bear testimony from having been born into a revolutionary South Africa . Born in the 80’s the era that saw the youth of this country rise up meant that for the better part of my years I have lived in a free South Africa where my life was never determined by the color of my skin and that is inspiration enough to appeal to my core …So let’s put it in perspective on this cold ELECTION day of April 22nd 2009. My words will be strong and I will say what I feel without being politically correct because I cannot write this piece without been true to my emotion! The beautiful thing about this day and age is that I have the democratic right to have my say. For me the true freedom will be realized when my readers read this with an open mind… without seeing it as attack but expression


I remember 1994 clearly, my parents casting their vote in Dawn Park- Chris Haney’s resident town. That was a significant moment to them and their reasons were clear. The many years of their lives spent in segregation been demoralized. Having to protest in the streets of Actonville against their own kind, Indians who had sold their souls and people to the nationalist government ! Forced removals from Denver, Dornfontein , Marbastad and Fietas due to the group areas act. The plight of the Indian flower sellers and fruit and vegetable vendors who had their trade licenses revoked when the ex Angolan colonists came to Johannesburg! And my grandfather who after his death had his Heidelberg land stolen away from his young wife and son by the man acting as his nominee.


This week A older white colleague had the nerve to tell me that Indians benefited the most from apartheid and that they continue to benefit today due to their corrupt dealings with the ANC government ! I looked at this lady in shock and disgust but held my composure because fighting her with my tongue would have had no impact on her mentality. She is the beneficiary of the apartheid government who was fed on selective information so I forgive her ignorance.. Racism was entrenched into her generation in the same way that acceptance is entrenched into mine. I can imagine what fear she faces currently and how she has seen this significant change in history affect her life from being the chosen race that was given everything to been a minority .Her claims that “no black man can ever rule himself” and her brash racists statements comes from a place of fear so I will forgive her racisms but what I will not stand is her blatant attack on my people! She is probably the same age as my dad and I sat there thinking that she could never and will never understand the contribution that he has made to this free South Africa. She will never understand the sheer magnitude and contributions of Indian families across this land! We came to their colonized stolen land and we made a difference in our lives we fought of the shackles of their indenture laws and today we are proud people who contribute positively to modern day South Africa. No apartheid government educated our youth! No apartheid government built our mosques, schools, temples and churches! We were the “Sammie’s” that tended their bars! We were the “coolies “that did their undesired jobs! We were the office clerks that handled their accounts if we were lucky enough to get those jobs! but it was Indian teachers that taught our children in schools that were built by people like ML Sultan and not the nationalist government and today we are the advocates , surgeons and CEO’s that help this economy function !


Indian South Africans fended for themselves and did so with honor, dignity and a willingness to survive! and might I make another bold statement by saying Indian South Africans have contributed to the freedom struggle by producing people like Fatima Meer , Ahmed Kathara and the Cachalia family to mention a few
In 1989 My dad had moved us out of Actonville and fought with the Boksburg municipality so that we could have a beautiful home in what was then known as one of the first “grey areas” by that I mean my neighbors were white and their daughter Carrie and I had not realized the color difference when we played and made friends with their maids daughter, change was brewing slowly ! a year later Mandela was free and apartheid was dying off . At that young age I did not care that they cut our lights due to protest for us to have the title deeds. I did not care that I needed a special permit to attend a crèche that would not take a child of color . How could I have understood what all those mini battles waged then meant for me in the years to come. I remember clearly the day the South African Tamil federation showed allegiance to the ANC, as a baby I could never understand what that affiliation meant for Tamil people in this country and why my dad and his counterparts celebrated its significance so much now I understand that that day they had stated their claim on the struggle and did so because this was their struggle and not a white black war that had been waged . It was about standing up against discrimination and telling the nationalist government that Indians could NOT be bought!


Perhaps in the broader scheme of things apartheid cast a mere shadow on my life but I was lucky enough to be born into the era of true change.. so even though as a Indian 4 year old child I could not go to the park across the road from my parents Boksburg offices it makes no significant impact on my life because change came and gave me my future !
Can we allow those sacrifices to be overshadowed by our fear of a ruling party’s choice of candidate , why have we as minority south Africans turned to leaving our beautiful land . I intend to stay here because I am a beneficiary of years of sacrifice. I intend to stay here because in this land today we have our right to freedom based on the one thing that protects it THE CONSTITUTION and I love my land where I can have my say write what I feel and make my own choices . I love the fact that women like Zille and De lille have the freedom to expose wrong doing. I pray that we will always have those rights!


I have made intended statements today but don’t think of me as a racist my aim is to be true to my identity that of SOUTH AFRICAN OF Indian origin. I am a young South African that feels truly blessed to be living in this free land. No matter what the outcome of our elections today I know that the true battle has been won because my white and black friends talk to me as Tashiani the person! And that is what makes us the changed generation we are! We have schooled together we have learnt together and we accept each other. The beauty of this generation is that our worlds are not as far removed as that of our parents were! The younger South Africa are accepting and tolerant we make friends across the color divide and we accept all. Our generations are true liberals because of the freedom that the past generation has gifted to us and
that my dear friend is worth inspiration. So have a great election day and remember that it is a blessing to be free today!


No comments:

Post a Comment